top of page

Cleaners Public Liability Insurance

Cleaning Products protected by Gleaming Insurance


What is Public Liability Insurance?

If you are the owner of a cleaning business looking for public liability insurance then you need to ensure that the insurance you arrange provides adequate protection for your business.  GLEAMING INSURANCE are specialist insurance brokers to the cleaning industry and can provide your business with the level of specialist protection it needs.

A public liability insurance policy will protect you if, as a result of your business, any party brings a claim against you (for which you are legally liable) for:

  • bodily injury or property damage occurring during the period of insurance

  • personal injury or denial of access committed during the period of insurance

In addition to this standard cover for damage and injury covered by public liability insurance,  the policy we offer includes the option to include cover for:

Damage to Property Worked On


This covers you if you are accused of damaging whatever you are cleaning.   Without this extension to your cover you would effectively be uninsured whilst you are working.  Our policies include this cover, most other insurer's exclude this.

Treatment Risks


If you use solutions or chemicals during the cleaning process (including bleach) then you probably know it is common for damage to be caused by such products.  Such damage is covered under the Treatment Risks extension.  Many insurers exclude claims caused where bleach has been used, but not ours.

Loss of Customers' Keys

If you are responsible for holding keys for your customers then you will need to ensure you have cover should you lose them.  Our policy provides key holding cover as standard.

Failure to Secure a Customer's Premises

When you leave a premises you have cleaned you may be responsible for locking up and setting alarms and if you fail to do this you could be liable should anyone break into the premises. Our policy covers you for such occurrences.


Losses from Dishonesty

You will have undoubtedly made checks on all your staff or self-employed cleaners but you could still be exposed to potential claims should one of them decide to steal from your customers.  The insurer will pay for the sums you have to pay as compensation to your client following fraud and dishonesty.  However, they will not make any payments for your clients losses;

  • where you do not have a suitable reference for the employee covering the period of at least 2 years immediately prior to commencement of employment with you; 

  • unless you notify us of such losses during the period of insurance or within 30 days of expiry of the period of insurance; 

  • arising from the unauthorised use of any telephone system by any of your employees

Documents for you to read

Please have a read of the following documents which we hope you will find useful in understanding the cover. 

Types of cleaning covered

We offer a comprehensive policy that will include cover for you to undertake the following activities as standard;

  • Window cleaning to 25 metres in where agreed*

  • Internal and external cleaning of commercial properties including shops, offices, restaurants, pubs and other properties occupied by businesses

  • Internal and external cleaning of domestic properties

  • End of tenancy and holiday home cleaning including caravans (interior and exterior)

  • Conservatory and solar panel cleaning

  • Carpet, upholstery, hard floors, soft furnishing and curtain cleaning

  • Gutter, soffit, fascia, signage and frame cleaning

  • Kitchen and oven cleaning (domestic and catering only) excluding industrial ovens

  • White goods cleaning including fridges and washing machines

  • Pressure washing to 248 bar (3,600 psi)

  • Contract cleaning

*The height limit of 25 metres is included for all Public Liability only policies.  If you also have Employers Liability Insurance cover in place then the height limit will be determined by the specific work done by your business. 

Who needs Public Liability Insurance?

Whilst there is no legal requirement to arrange public liability insurance it would be prudent for any cleaning business owner to protect their business with cleaners public liability insurance.  


This will protect  your livelihood and reputation if you were found to have been legally liable for damage or injury you caused during your business activities.   

We see many claims where cleaners have accidentally damaged a carpet, sofa, oven etc and the cost of the damage is in excess of £2,000.   Do you have a spare £2,000 to pay a customer their compensation, plus legal fees?  Not many people do, hence the need to take out public liability insurance.  

Please note that when you arrange a public liability policy with us it will only cover the person named who must be the proprietor of the business or the named partners if there is more than one business owner.   

If you have others helping you then you will have a legal requirement to arrange cover for Employers Liability Insurance.   Please see our guide to choosing the right insurance cover for your cleaning business.

Cleaning Agencies (who place cleaners with homeowners)

Many cleaning agencies have been misinformed about their legal obligations to provide Employers Liability Insurance for their self employed cleaners.  If you have people working under your name, who have been introduced by you then you are taking responsibility for those people.  We have created a specific page for Cleaning Agencies Insurance to explain what information we need from you to offer a quotation.   

Please do not just arrange a public liability only policy as this will not be adequate for your business needs. 

Gleaming Insurance
bottom of page