top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

Which insurance company provides the cover? 

All our policies are underwritten by Hiscox Insurance Company Ltd under an exclusive arrangement we have in place with them.


We are a specialist insurance broker to the cleaning industry and have been providing insurance for cleaning businesses since 2011.  We have helped thousands of businesses in the cleaning industry to arrange their insurance.

What types of cleaning businesses do you insure?

We are able to provide cover for a wide range of cleaning businesses including:


  • Internal and external cleaning of commercial properties including shops, offices, restaurants, pubs and other properties occupied by businesses

  • Internal and external cleaning of domestic properties

  • End of tenancy and holiday home cleaning including caravans (interior and exterior)

  • Conservatory and solar panel cleaning

  • Carpet, upholstery, hard floors, soft furnishing and curtain cleaning

  • Gutter, soffit, fascia, signage and frame cleaning

  • Kitchen and oven cleaning (domestic and catering only) excluding industrial ovens

  • White goods cleaning including fridges and washing machines

  • Pressure washing to 248 bar (3,600 psi)

  • Contract cleaning

  • A height limit of 25 metres or more is available should you work that high

Do you offer payment by direct debit?

Yes, you can set up a direct debit plan to pay by 0% interest-free installments, with no deposit needed and spread out over the whole year. This is done directly with our insurer and completed online when you arrange cover.

What other payment options do you offer?

You can also pay the premium in full by debit or credit card.  You will be asked to provide your card details once you proceed to arrange cover.

When will I get my documents?

Your documents will be immediately available online for you to download. They will remain there for you to access securely at any time in the future.

Public Liability Insurance

Do I legally need to have public liability insurance?

No, there is no legal obligation to have this cover, but it is advisable to arrange cover to protect you and your business from claims made against you for damage or injury.   

Is this the only cover I need for my business?

That really depends on how your business is set up.  If you are a sole trader or in a partnership with no help from anyone else then this will be adequate for you. However, if you have others helping you then you will have a legal requirement to arrange cover for Employers Liability Insurance.   Please see our guide to choosing the right insurance cover for your cleaning business. 

What limits of cover do you offer?

We can offer six different limits of indemnity, £1m, £2m, £3m, £4m, £5m, and £10m.  You can increase the limit you choose at any stage during the year by simply contacting us by email.

What limit should I choose?

That is your personal choice and not something we can advise on.  You should consider checking with any businesses you work for to find out if they have a particular requirement.

What is Damage to Property Being Worked On?

This is a vital cover extension - it provides covers for you if you are accused of damaging the item you are cleaning. Without this extension to your cover you risk having to deal with any such claim yourself.

What is Treatment Risks cover?

If you use solutions or chemicals during the cleaning process (including bleach) then you probably know it is common for damage to be caused by such products.  We provide cover under our Treatment Risks extension which you can choose to include in your cover. Many insurers exclude treatment risk, but we can include it for you.

Do you provide cover for key holding/loss of customer's keys?

Yes we do.  If you are responsible for holding keys for your customers then you will need to ensure you have cover for the losses your customer faces should you lose them.  Our policy provides the option to include cover key holding/loss of customer's keys.

What other covers do provide under your public liability policy?

In addition to the covers mentioned above we can also include:

  • Failure to secure a customer's premises - When you leave a premises you have cleaned you may be responsible for locking up and setting alarms and if you fail to do this you could be liable should anyone break into the premises. Our policy can cover you for such occurrences.

  • Losses from dishonesty - You will have undoubtedly made checks on all your staff or self-employed cleaners but you could still face the risk of one of them acting dishonestly.  As long as you have taken suitable references for that employee for the two years before they worked for you then our policy will cover the customer's claim (up to the policy limit and subject to excess) if you have chosen to include this extension to cover. 

What happens if I need to make a claim?

If you are accused of causing damage to a customer's property please report the incident to us as soon as possible.  Please be sure to read 'your obligations' as defined in the insurer's policy wording before discussing the claim with your customer.

Can we see a copy of the policy wording before arranging cover?

Yes, absolutely you can.  Please see our page dedicated to policy wordings.


Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Gleaming Insurance
bottom of page